Analytical Chemist and Research Testing Manager – Surterra – Tampa, FL
Surterra’s Analytical Chemist and Research Testing Manager leads Surterra’s internal R&D analytical testing program, including the developing and execution of Surterra’s R&D testing protocols, analytical studies, and SOPs. In addition, the Analytical Chemist and Research Testing Manager supports recurring and on-demand testing for Surterra’s operational testing requirements.
CORE JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs QA/QC through analytical testing for quality, consistency and efficacy
- Works closely with production team on all elements of the testing and formulating process
- Determines research and development testing protocols, including the creation and management of applicable SOPs
- Provides regular and on-demand testing services and capabilities for operations and the research and development team
- Prepares samples for analysis, test samples, analyze and communicate results
- Experience with HPLC, GC, MS and related chemical techniques
- Provides detailed experimental observations, review and analyze data, interpret experimental results, and summarize data for presentations and reports
- Establishes guidelines and criteria for acceptance and testing across all stages of the product development process
- Operating, maintaining, and making adjustments and repairs to laboratory equipment such as liquid chromatography systems, pumps, microscopes, balances, centrifuges, and other laboratory equipment
- Maintaining inventory records of supplies, materials, and equipment
- Storing supplies and equipment, disposal of waste according to guidelines, and keeping laboratory, storerooms and working areas immaculate
- Washing and sterilizing laboratory glassware
- Creation of SOPs, training records, and related documentation
- Maintaining material safety data sheets for all department chemicals and product
- Participates in team-driven activities to facilitate new product development and continuous process improvement
- Conducts stability studies on formulations, performs HPLC, LC/MS, CE, etc. testing
- Assists with intellectual property activities, including patent development and patent searches
- Document data and results according to applicable compliances (such as cGMP or cGLP)
JOB SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Able to perform analysis with HPLC and GC/MS instrumentation is required
- Strong understanding of cGMP guidelines (with knowledge of FDA regulations related to the pharmaceutical industry)
- Ability to follow and/or author SOPs, policies, and regulations
- Knowledge of and hands on experience with Supercritical Extraction, Ethanol Extraction, Rotary Evaporation, Distillation
- Able to process samples by collection, extraction, preparing for analysis, and quantifying results
- Familiar use of a wide range of pipettes and knowing their volume capabilities
- Scientific laboratory procedures and techniques as used in a chemistry laboratory
- Experience with scientific laboratory equipment and apparatus and scientific methods of measurements
- Health and safety practices and precautions applicable to a chemistry laboratory
- Proper and safe handling and disposal of harmful chemicals, substances, and hazardous wastes
- Capabilities with computer systems, software, and hardware common to laboratories Record keeping procedures
- Ability to assist team members with proposals by contributing to research design and providing understanding and insight to research team members with respect to testing and quality
- Experience with HPLC and other stability testing methods
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing, and challenging environment
- Analytically and communicatively intelligent
- Focuses simultaneously on short- and long-term goals; ability to identify problems quickly
- Knowledge of customer service, inventory management (including software) and regulatory compliance
- Accurate data-entry and record keeping
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills and time management abilities
- Ability to pass a background check, including drug testing, to be registered as an employee of a licensed organization in Florida and/or other Surterra geographies
- Comfort with security protocols, including video monitoring and employee tracking
- An ability to travel up to 10% of the time
- Possess a PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Analytical Chemistry, or related fields with 0-2 years of experience; OR possess an MS in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Analytical Chemistry, or related fields with 2+ years of experience; OR possess a BS in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Analytical Chemistry, or related fields with 4+ years of experience
- The ability to perform repetitive techniques accurately and consistently
- The ability to stand for long periods of time, along with frequent bending
- Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less)
- Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, work with fingers
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and push up to 100 pounds with assistance
- The ability to move safely over uneven terrain or in confined spaces
- The ability to perform various physical activities, including lifting, standing, and squatting
- The ability to wear personal protective gear during portions of the day
Surterra reserves the right to change or assign other duties to this job description. Your employment with Surterra is a voluntary one and is subject to termination by you or Surterra at will, with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time. Nothing in this document shall be interpreted to be in conflict with or to eliminate or modify in any way the employment-at-will status of Surterra employees.
About Surterra Wellness:
OUR MISSION: We believe that wellness is a pursuit and that nature has the ability to empower our health now and in the future.. It is our mission to provide the safest, highest quality cannabis-based products that empower your health and enable you and your loved ones to live well.
OUR STORY: This past decade has seen a powerful shift in the way we define healthy living. From greater access to naturally-grown, organic foods to the awareness of the dangers in overly-processed, chemically-dependent products, communities everywhere are rediscovering what it means to live well. Surterra believes that this push for safe, natural ingredients should not stop at the grocery store, and we are focused on transforming the way people take control of their health.
6 Core Values of a Surterra Employee
Integrity – We operate in a regulated and unchartered industry. Act and make decisions that stand up to scrutiny and reflect our position as a sophisticated, credible and respected leader. Be honest, trustworthy, dependable, and honorable. Demonstrate sound moral and ethical ways of interacting.
Collaboration – We are a collection of the best talent at all levels. Learn and grow from this diversity: welcome healthy debate and proactively seek other perspectives and points of view to find the best solution while not resting on consensus. Proactively ensure the right people have the right information at the right time. Work as a team vs. an individual performer.
Agility – We are growing incredibly fast in a new industry. Be open to change, be ready to pivot on the moment’s notice, and act with a sense of urgency to take advantage of opportunities. Then be ready to do it again. Quickly –and calmly -respond and adapt to the unexpected. Modify and streamline processes, find more efficient ways of doing your job. Work efficiently across markets, time zones, and functions.
Intentionality – Intentionality requires action –it makes your intentions happen. Good thoughts are meaningless without action. It is initiative directed by the purpose to move our business forward. Intentionality is doing things important to you, even when not easy. Transformational change happens with intentionally.
Alignment – Together, we must understand and believe in our vision, mission, business and team goals and priorities. When we make a decision, even when we don’t have consensus we all align behind that decision and execute. We don’t revisit decisions unless we have material new data or circumstances.
Accountability – Make the best proactive and reactive decisions given the available information and the wisest counsel. • Own your decisions, actions and outcomes, and promptly correct mistakes. • Be reliable, honor commitments and do not finger point, off-load responsibilities, or criticize co-workers. Look after co-workers and team’s success.