Parallel is one of the largest privately held, vertically integrated, multi-state cannabis companies in the world with a mission to pioneer well-being and improve the quality of life through cannabinoids. Parallel owns and operates retail dispensaries in four medical and adult-use markets: Surterra Wellness in Florida and Texas; New England Treatment Access (NETA) in Massachusetts, and The Apothecary Shoppe in Nevada. The Company has a diverse portfolio of high quality, proprietary and licensed consumer brands and products including Surterra Wellness, Coral Reefer, and Float. Parallel operates approximately 50 retail stores nationwide, with a series of cultivation and manufacturing sites across the four states. The Company conducts advanced cannabis science through Molecular Infusions (Mi), a cannabis-based biopharmaceutical company, and conducts R&D for new product development in its facilities in Texas, Massachusetts, Florida, and Budapest, Hungary. Parallel follows rigorous operations and business practices to ensure the quality, safety, consistency and efficacy of its products and is building its business by following strong values and putting the well-being of its customers and employees first. For more information: www.liveParallel.com.
The Director, Florida Government and Regulatory Affairs plans and directs the organization’s policies and objectives involving matters of state government and regulations. Oversees analysis of proposed state legislation and regulation to determine potential impact on the organization, and directs legislative strategy depending on said impact. Establishes company positions on state legislation and regulations. Develops and executes internal and external communications strategy.
- In partnership with VP, Government Affairs, and Florida Market President, develops and executes FL-specific government affairs strategies to enhance the organization’s standing with Legislators, Regulators and other government officials in Florida, and helps drive Company growth in the state.
- Provides day-to-day management of FL state and local government relations function, ensuring that Parallel has an active and effective voice in the governmental processes in Tallahassee and around the state.
- Monitors and investigates state regulatory and legislative developments and evaluates their impact on our organization. Communicates pending developments to the leadership team and collaborates in developing responses.
- Builds strong relationships and maintains regular communication with state legislative and regulatory leaders.
- Analyzes and advises leadership regarding key regulatory and legislative issues. Participates in company strategic planning related to Florida and provides expertise in area of specialization.
- Develops and manages Florida political contribution strategy and budget.
- Manages and directs external lawyers, lobbyists, and consultants to achieve Parallel’s government relations objectives.
- Plans meeting agendas and prepares attendees with goals and objectives and directs and executes any necessary meeting follow-up.
- Education: Business/MBA, Public Policy, Political Science or related area degree or equivalent experience
- At least 3-5 years professional experience in public or private-sector government facing role
- Experience managing external vendors and professional services organizations
- Direct experience working in the FL Legislative and Executive branches of government preferred
- Deep knowledge and understanding of the external and internal dynamics impacting state agencies and a proven ability to drive decision making and influence policy
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to work with diverse range of internal and external stakeholders including executives, product managers, lobbyists, attorneys, state elected and appointed officials and regulators, trade associations, and public policy organizations
- Organized with effective time management skills to manage and meet deadlines on multiple priorities simultaneously
- Ability to drill into policy and legal details while also able to communicate the high-level strategic impacts to non-experts
- Collaborative, flexible, detail oriented, results driven, and with strong ethics
- Ability to create legislative and regulatory strategic and granular plans that align with business needs
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 75% of the time.
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery.
- The person in this position frequently communicates with other employees / customers . Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Our Vision – why we exist – is to pioneer well-being and improve the quality of life for humanity through the benefits of cannabinoids.
Our Mission – how we will do this – is to build a leading, global well-being company through the best talent, our values, trusted and recognized brands, science and technology-based innovation, and a relentless focus on execution and continuous improvement.
Integrity – We operate in a regulated and unchartered industry. Act and make decisions that stand up to scrutiny and reflect our position as a sophisticated, credible and respected leader. Be honest, trustworthy, dependable, and honorable. Demonstrate sound moral and ethical ways of interacting.
Collaboration – We are a collection of the best talent at all levels. Learn and grow from this diversity: welcome healthy debate and proactively seek other perspectives and points of view to find the best solution while not resting on consensus. Proactively ensure the right people have the right information at the right time. Work as a team vs. an individual performer.
Agility – We are growing incredibly fast in a new industry. Be open to change, be ready to pivot on the moment’s notice, and act with a sense of urgency to take advantage of opportunities. Then be ready to do it again. Quickly –and calmly -respond and adapt to the unexpected. Modify and streamline processes, find more efficient ways of doing your job. Work efficiently across markets, time zones, and functions.
Intentionality – Intentionality requires action –it makes your intentions happen. Good thoughts are meaningless without action. It is initiative directed by the purpose to move our business forward. Intentionality is doing things important to you, even when not easy. Transformational change happens with intentionally.
Alignment – Together, we must understand and believe in our vision, mission, business and team goals and priorities. When we make a decision, even when we don’t have consensus we all align behind that decision and execute. We don’t revisit decisions unless we have material new data or circumstances.
Accountability – Make the best proactive and reactive decisions given the available information and the wisest counsel. Own your decisions, actions and outcomes, and promptly correct mistakes. Be reliable, honor commitments and do not finger point, off-load responsibilities, or criticize co-workers. Look after co-workers and team’s success.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique.