The Director of Scientific Research will lead and mentor a team of research and formulation scientists at Surterra’s Molecular Infusion facilities in the Tampa Bay area. The Director of Scientific Research will work collaboratively with the research team, Surterra’s brand and marketing teams, the operations team, and Surterra leadership to drive the development of innovative formulations, products, technologies, and processes in support of Surterra’s customers, patients, and overall goals and objectives. This role will report to the Vice President, Research and Development.
CORE JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead and mentor a team of research and formulations scientists towards development of next-generation cannabis products to achieve Surterra’s research and development goals and objectives
- Providing leadership, direction and day-to-day oversight to internal formulation activities, laboratory operations and external service providers.
- Build internal expertise with respect to formulations, analytical, and synthetic chemistry, and work collaboratively with team members to discuss challenges and propose tangible solutions or alternatives when problems arise.
- Collaborate with Surterra’s brand and marketing teams, operations team, and leadership team for planning, managing, and implementing Surterra’s research and development projects.
- Define, develop, and implement short-term and long-term strategies, goals, objectives, and tactics relating to research, formulations and development activities..
- Develop departmental key performance indicators (KPIs) and analyze for opportunities to optimize performance—both within the Surterra research and development team and with respect to opportunities across the company.
- From a research and development perspective, support Surterra’s intellectual property strategy and activities, including the prioritization of potential patent applications, the management of the company’s patent portfolio, and the development of patient applications.
- Lead efforts to identify and champion new methodologies, technologies, and/or improved production modalities to increase yields, potency, and purity.
- Identify risks and drive continuous improvement in the manufacturing processes through technological innovation, operational improvement, and alignment with regulatory and commercial manufacturing requirements.
- Direct efforts in the design and synthesis of novel cannabinoid-derived compounds to modulate their pharmacokinetic profiles.
- Communicate and present scientific and technical information within area of expertise to a cross site/cross functional audience.
- Oversee the implementation of new technology, record-keeping, safety and security guidelines.
- Collaborate with Surterra’s marketing team to ensure scientific accuracy of all published works.
JOB SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Possess a PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Bio-organic Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Sciences/Engineeringor related fields with 5+ years of post-graduate academic/industry experience in drug formulation and delivery.
- Experience working with and managing a team of formulation scientists. Industry experience is an advantage.
- Well-established experience with formulations of nano- and micro-delivery systems.
- Experience managing research projects and delivering results on time and on budget.
- Experience with intellectual property strategy and managing and drafting provisional and non-provisional patent applications.
- Familiarity with cGMP, cGPL, and/or related compliance programs.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing, and challenging environment.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills. Should be able to adapt communication style to suit different audiences.
- Analytically and communicatively intelligent.
- Focuses simultaneously on short- and long-term goals; ability to identify problems quickly.
- Knowledge of regulatory compliance.
- Accurate data-entry and record keeping.
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills and time management abilities.
- Ability to pass a background check, including drug testing, to be registered as an employee of a licensed organization in Florida and/or other Surterra geographies.
- Comfort with security protocols, including video monitoring and employee tracking.
- An ability to travel up to 25% of the time.