We started MedMen with a simple vision; cannabis as a consumer product. It is a simple idea with profound consequences for how marijuana is cultivated, produced and marketed. Quality standards matter, best practices matter, brand reputation matters. Today, MedMen is the most dominant cannabis enterprise in the emerging legal marijuana industry.
The Extraction Technician III is responsible for extracting, refining and fractionating Phyto-cannabinoids and terpenes from cannabis plant material into a concentrated form using carbon dioxide as a solvents and various separations techniques with little supervision. The Extraction Technician III is looked to for their expertise in the Extraction area, ensuring use of best practices and training new team members.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Operates solvent extraction and separations equipment and non-solvents refinement equipment that extracts and refines oil from a variety of cannabis plant material.
- Observes, monitors & records temperature, pressure and other parameters on processes and equipment, evaluating, troubleshooting and escalating issues as they arise.
- Cleaning and maintenance of extraction equipment, ensuring best cleaning and maintenance practices are followed.
- Troubleshooting equipment as able and escalating malfunctions.
- Refining extracted material via molecular distillation and prep 350 SFC.
- Conduct Design of Experiment trials to determine optimal parameter settings of equipment.
- Moderate physical demand; may include carrying empty and loaded extraction columns, as well as ice and water containers.
- Preventative maintenance of extraction equipment.
- Record all measurable data on excel, google sheet or other databases.
- Usage of BioTrack and/or other regulatory mandated databases.
- Expertise in writing, using and advising on SOP’s, sharing best practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Technical Capacity.
- Ethical Conduct.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Results Driven.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Expected days and hours of work will vary. Must be willing to work weekends.
No travel is expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma/GED and completion of a craft apprenticeship, or an equivalent number of years of education and production experience.
- 3-4 years of experience working in a lab and/or specialty chemicals environment with various separations techniques and similar equipment.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Ability to perform general mathematical calculations including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Attention to detail in all aspects of job responsibilities, including but not limited to good documentation practices, strict adherence to Standard Operating Procedure and Manufacturing Batch Record instructions, equipment and area hygiene and safety, cGMP gowning requirements adherence, release versus quarantine status of all manufacturing materials, general labeling requirements.
- Accurately and precisely operate laboratory scales and other simple but precision measurement devices.
- The ability to professionally represent MedMen in all personnel interactions including those associated with regulatory agency inspection and/or audits.
- The ability to perform all job functions in direct compliance with written instruction.
- The ability to quickly comprehend the set-up, operation, controls and trouble-shooting of equipment.
- Regular and on-time attendance is mandated and is an essential function of this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.