Formulation Scientist – Surterra – Tampa, FL
Can be located in either Tampa, FL, or Austin, TX.
In collaboration with Surterra’s research team, product team, and processing team, the Formulation Scientist will be responsible for developing, evaluating, and characterizing targeted micro- and nano-medicines and formulations to provide enhanced pharmacokinetic benefits to Surterra’s patients across multiple product delivery mechanisms.
CORE JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works with the Surterra research team to formulate new products, from development to commercialization, focused micro- and nano-formulations to control product absorption, distribution, metabolism and excretion parameters
- Develops specifications for new and/or reformulated products
- Establishes guidelines and criteria for acceptance and testing across all stages of the product development process
- Creates and delivers on project timelines in collaboration with Surterra’s product team, including determining milestones and critical path items
- Participates in team-driven activities to facilitate new product development and continuous process improvement
- Conducts stability studies on formulations, performs HPLC, LC/MS, CE, etc. testing
- Assists with intellectual property activities, including patent development and patent searches
- Document data and results according to applicable compliances (such as cGMP or cGLP)
JOB SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Experience with micro- and nano-particle preparation techniques, biophysical/chemical characterization, and surface modification
- Foundation in chemical, biological, or biochemical sciences or materials engineering with experience in the field of drug delivery
- Strong understanding of cGMP guidelines (with knowledge of FDA regulations related to the pharmaceutical industry)
- Experience with HPLC and other stability testing methods
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing, and challenging environment.
- Analytically and communicatively intelligent.
- Focuses simultaneously on short- and long-term goals; ability to identify problems quickly.
- Knowledge of customer service, inventory management (including software) and regulatory compliance.
- Accurate data-entry and record keeping.
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills and time management abilities.
- Ability to pass a background check, including drug testing, to be registered as an employee of a licensed organization in Florida, Texas, and/or other Surterra geographies
- Comfort with security protocols, including video monitoring and employee tracking.
- An ability to travel up to 50% of the time (if based in Austin, Texas).
- Possess a PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Bioorganic Chemistry, or related fields with 3+ years of experience in drug delivery, nanoparticle formulation, and/or controlled drug release platforms; OR possess an MS in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Bioorganic Chemistry, or related fields with 5-10 years of experience in drug delivery, nanoparticle formulation, and/or controlled drug release platforms
- The ability to lift 20-50 pounds as needed.
- The ability to move safely over uneven terrain or in confined spaces.
- The ability to perform various physical activities, including lifting, standing, and squatting.
- The ability to work in extreme weather.
- The ability to wear personal protective gear during portions of the day.
SURTERRA CORE QUALITIES
Be Ethical – Do everything with impeccable integrity. Be radically transparent, fair and honest with each other. Do what you say you are going to do. Be trustworthy. Avoid deceit, favoritism and discrimination. Hold people accountable without emotion. Comply with regulations. Integrity is a pass/fail quality; you must have it to work with us.
Be a Champion – Always work in the best interest of the patient and the brand. Empower our patients to find their wellness. Support their doctors’ recommendations with respect. Be a constant learner in support of patients’ need for information. Partner with patients to make the best choices for their well-being. Fight for their rights to do so.
Be Bold – Be curious, creative and an exemplar of the Surterra brand in all your interactions. Be bold and innovative. Dream big, take chances. Investigate and learn with every challenge. Think three steps ahead and make a plan. Set the strategy and execute against it. Speed counts.
Be United – Build strong interpersonal relationships based on trust and respect. Create an inclusive environment where all voices are heard. Listen objectively to opposing views. Be diplomatic in response to adversity. Always assume good intentions. Build consensus among competing ideas and personalities. Be a strong teammate. Show compassion to everyone.
Be Efficient – Employ a systematic approach to achieve objectives. Simplify complex and time-consuming activities into simple, efficient actions. Automate processes wherever possible. Teach others how to operate within a process. Never confuse motion for progress.
Be Well – Organize and operate within a complex and chaotic environment. Remain calm, poised and effective in stressful situations. Accept the inevitability of changing priorities and redirect as needed. Think on your feet. Be resilient and show grit in the face of challenges. Avoid taking offense and never be defensive. Maintain a healthy lifestyle and psychological hardiness. Set your boundaries and respect the boundaries of others. Lead by example from the front.
Be Wise – Discern what is appropriate, practical and realistic in any given situation. Weigh the advantages of competing demands in a regulated industry. Make decisions that are a win-win for patients and the business. Say no to good ideas in favor of the best ideas. Remain open to new information and adapt accordingly. Use good judgment on appropriate use of limited resources.
Be Articulate – Show up with confidence. Communicate with enthusiasm. Speak and write in a concise, grammatically correct, precise and persuasive manner. Convey nuances of meaning accurately. Match styles of communication to each audience and purpose. Demonstrate executive presence with confidence, decisiveness, dignity and poise.
Surterra reserves the right to change or assign other duties to this job description. Your employment with Surterra is a voluntary one and is subject to termination by you or Surterra at will, with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time. Nothing in this document shall be interpreted to be in conflict with or to eliminate or modify in any way the employment-at-will status of Surterra employees.