Greenhouse – Scout (Cultivation) – Surterra – Wimauma, FL
This individual will work hands on monitoring the crops, ensure accurate reports of the crops health and wellness are relayed to management, and implement IPM strategies designated by the grow team.
CORE JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitoring and scouting of pests, diseases, and beneficial insects.
- Reporting pest populations, irrigation irregularities, and mechanical issues seen while scouting.
- Monitor efficiency of products used for control measures.
- Maintain and monitor traps to provide feedback on pest counts to the growers.
- Verification of pest and disease infestation trends.
- Coordinating with management on all biological programs and implementation.
- Verifying / validating of scouting reports to confirm accuracy and reliability.
- Maintaining up to date records and reports.
- Other duties as assigned from time to time.
JOB SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Related work experience.
- Good communicator verbal / written.
- Well organized and a self-starter.
- Must be self-motivated, honest, trustworthy, and always act in a mature and professional manner.
- Strong interest in agriculture and willing to work in adverse conditions.
- Knowledge of horticultural pests and diseases is a plus, on the job training will be provided.
- Greenhouse environment, where the temperature will regularly exceed 85°F.
- Position requires standing and walking on a regular basis.
- Collaboration with cultivation management reporting pest populations and releasing beneficial insects.
- Ability to make changes as needed without advance notice.
6 Core Values of a Surterra Employee
· Integrity – We operate in a regulated and unchartered industry. Act and make decisions that stand up to scrutiny and reflect our position as a sophisticated, credible and respected leader. Be honest, trustworthy, dependable, and honorable. Demonstrate sound moral and ethical ways of interacting.
· Collaboration – We are a collection of the best talent at all levels. Learn and grow from this diversity: welcome healthy debate and proactively seek other perspectives and points of view to find the best solution while not resting on consensus. Proactively ensure the right people have the right information at the right time. Work as a team vs. an individual performer.
· Agility – We are growing incredibly fast in a new industry. Be open to change, be ready to pivot on the moment’s notice, and act with a sense of urgency to take advantage of opportunities. Then be ready to do it again. Quickly –and calmly -respond and adapt to the unexpected. Modify and streamline processes, find more efficient ways of doing your job. Work efficiently across markets, time zones, and functions.
· Intentionality – Intentionality requires action –it makes your intentions happen. Good thoughts are meaningless without action. It is initiative directed by the purpose to move our business forward. Intentionality is doing things important to you, even when not easy. Transformational change happens with intentionally.
· Alignment – Together, we must understand and believe in our vision, mission, business and team goals and priorities. When we make a decision, even when we don’t have consensus we all align behind that decision and execute. We don’t revisit decisions unless we have material new data or circumstances.
· Accountability – Make the best proactive and reactive decisions given the available information and the wisest counsel. • Own your decisions, actions and outcomes, and promptly correct mistakes. • Be reliable, honor commitments and do not finger point, off-load responsibilities, or criticize co-workers. Look after co-workers and team’s success.