WASHINGTON — Chelsea Clinton warned her parents that international relief efforts in Haiti were a disaster and that major changes were needed in a memo released on Monday that offered a rare window into her role in America’s most prominent political family.
“To say I was profoundly disturbed by what I saw — and didn’t see — would be an understatement,” Ms. Clinton wrote in a memo addressed to “Dad, Mom” and attached to an email she sent while her mother was secretary of state and her father was leading relief efforts for the 2010 earthquake in Haiti. “The incompetence is mind numbing.”
Reporting back on a four-day trip to Haiti, Ms. Clinton added, “If we do not quickly change the organization, management, accountability and delivery paradigm on the ground, we could quite conceivably confront tens of thousands of children’s deaths by diarrhea, dysentery, typhoid and other water-related diseases in the near future.”
The message hinted at the largely hidden role the former first daughter has played over the years as an agent and adviser to her famous parents, “an invisible soldier,” as she described herself in that memo. With her mother now back on the presidential campaign trail, Chelsea Clinton has been increasingly in the spotlight as she has exercised oversight over the family foundation and taken a more visible place in the family’s quest to return to the White House.

Interactive Feature | Sign Up for the First Draft Newsletter

The memo was one of 4,368 documents totaling 7,121 pages, posted online Monday night by the State Department as part of a monthly disclosure ordered by a court after the revelation that Hillary Rodham Clinton had used a private email server while she was secretary of state. The department initially said it had redacted information from roughly 150 emails because they contained sensitive information, then reduced that estimate to 125.
The information was deleted because “confidential” materials — the lowest classification of government intelligence — had been discovered in the correspondence. None of the documents were marked classified at the time they were sent, said Mark Toner, a spokesman for the State Department.
According to an executive order signed by President Obama in 2009, “confidential” information “reasonably could be expected to cause damage to national security” if disclosed to the public. …Read More