Summary Compiles information and records to prepare purchase orders for procurement of material by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Verifies nomenclature and specifications of purchase requests.
- Searches inventory records or warehouse to determine if material on hand is in sufficient quantity.
- Consults catalogs and interviews suppliers to obtain prices and specifications.
- Types or writes invitation of bid forms and mails forms to supplier firms or for public posting.
- Writes or types purchase order and sends copy to supplier and department originating request.
- Compiles records of items purchased or transferred between departments, prices, deliveries, and inventories.
- Computes total cost of items purchased.
- Confers with suppliers concerning late deliveries.
- Compares prices, specifications, and delivery dates and awards contract to bidders or places orders with suppliers or mail order firms.
- Verifies bills from suppliers with bids and purchase orders and approves bills for payment.
- Classifies priority regulations.
- Industry knowledge and experience is preffered.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies :
Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service ; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
One year certificate from college or technical school; or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Other Skills and Abilities
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.