Lab Operations Manager
Company & Position Overview
McCrory Sunny Hill Nursery, LLC d/b/a GrowHealthy and its family of companies is positioned to become one of Florida’s largest and most trusted chains of medical marijuana companies. Working together with state and local governments, the GrowHealthy brand features company-grown, tested, safe and effective medical marijuana products.
The Lab Operations Manager will be part of a focused and motivated Leadership Team, leading the CO2 Extraction and Solventless labs at the GrowHealthy Lake Wales, Florida location. This position will report directly to the Director of Operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- This position carries significant administrative, regulatory and compliance duties and responsibilities including the interviewing, leading, managing, training, safety awareness, professional development of laboratory employees.
- Managing existing CO2 and Solventless extraction Lab areas, including but not limited to extraction, distillation, roto-evaporation, decarboxylation, winterization, rosin press, bubble hash
- Analyzing production requirements and work assignations, based upon capacity to achieve production schedule and departmental objectives.
- Managing and promoting an environment of continual improvement and open communication with all levels of staff.
- Identifying and implementing new technologies and methodologies to improve laboratory workflow, extractions, product development and data quality as financially possible.
- Creating and maintaining monthly and weekly production schedules while monitoring quality control to ensure high quality, repeatable, and accurate results.
- Ensuring and managing the constant improvement of the team’s knowledge base on lab procedures and extraction methods, including safety awareness, knowledge of hazards, OSHA, Food Safety, company standards and quality control.
- Interviewing and hiring of all Extraction and Processing personnel in partnership with Human Resources.
- Ensuring to align employee labor with production plan, managing and approving any/all hours worked.
- Complying with state track and trace compliance requirements.
- Approving any changes to the technical SOPs.
- Troubleshooting the issues causing the breakdown of machines or equipment.
- Investigating and managing all adverse events, errors and employee complaints; documenting investigations and determining the root cause.
- Resolving employee conflicts respectfully and in a timely manner, asking for assistance from Human Resources when required.
- Maintaining a rigid cleaning schedule dividing focus of duties daily, weekly, and monthly as needed.
- Ensuring completion of all orders for GrowHealthy products in an efficient in timely matter, meeting all necessary deadlines.
- Strategically identifying CAPEX for machinery to match production plan.
- Tracking and controlling unit COGs in alignment with business plan.
- Maintaining a professional demeanor and good rapport with all GrowHealthy employees and vendors.
- Managing and coaching of all GrowHealthy laboratory employees.
- Any and all other responsibilities as assigned by senior management
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry is required.
- Plant Science experience is required
- Manufacturing scale up experience is required.
- Excellent critical thinking skills to be able to troubleshoot any issue with the processes and instrumentation.
- 5+ years in manufacturing or laboratory setting (cannabis preferred).
- Exposure to a fast paced/deadline related environment.
- Demonstrated confidence including providing a consistent leadership style while managing a team of employees with an acceptable level of professional assertiveness.
- Proven strategic experience in managing a lab and overseeing all aspects of professional production laboratory environments – including equipment handling, operation and maintenance; production operations, processing and execution.
- Strong attention to detail as it pertains to compliance, sanitation, and organization
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
Working conditions include:
- General laboratory and office environment.
- Extended computer usage.
- Repetitive motions and understanding of lab equipment.
- Working at a fast pace, subject to many interruptions and both physical and mental demands.
- Must wear provided lab coat and/or scrubs, crocs, hair/beard nets, gloves, safety goggles, face mask and any and all other required PPE while working in the CO2 and/or Solventless lab areas.
- May be required to wear a respirator mask
Percentage of Work Time Spent on Activity
Lifting/Pulling/Pushing: Must be able to lift to 50lbs without assistance
Fingering/Grasping/Feeling: Must be able to type and use technical sources.
Climbing/Stooping/Kneeling: Must be able to stoop or kneel
Standing/Walking: Must be able to move about departments
Computer Work/Data Entry
Talking, Hearing, Good Vision
All Lab Technicians and Lab Operations Supervisor will report directly to the Lab Operations Manager.
Equal Opportunity Employment
GrowHealthy provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GrowHealthy complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. GrowHealthy expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.