Florida Gators football is the No. 1 topic in Good Morning, Gators every day — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across the Gators sports world. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Florida football, recruiting, basketball and more.

Florida’s quarterback picture came into clearer focus Thursday when Malik Zaire’s father confirmed the veteran quarterback will not pursue an extra year of eligibility to return to the Gators.

Because he sustained a broken ankle in the second game of his 2015 season at Notre Dame, many wondered if Zaire would pursue a medical hardship waiver for a sixth year and try to compete for the starting job at Florida in Dan Mullen’s spread offense — a better fit for his skill set than the pro-style system he played in last fall.

As his father Imani Zaire told SEC Country, though, there was no substantial conversation between Zaire and Mullen about his future, and the graduate transfer QB was simply over the college football experience after a frustrating season at Florida. Click here for Imani Zaire’s full comments about his son’s situation.

So that leaves incoming freshman Emory Jones as the only dual-threat quarterback in the mix for the Gators.

He’ll be competing with incumbent starter Feleipe Franks, who struggled with his decision-making as a redshirt freshman in 2017, as well as untested redshirt sophomore Kyle Trask and redshirt freshman Jake Allen.

The expectations many already had for Jones to seize the starting job in his first season will only increase now that it’s known Zaire won’t be an option as a veteran dual-threat QB to serve as a placeholder in this new offense.

For what it’s worth, here’s what Mullen said last week about Jones’ chances to start as

Read More Here...