Manager of Operations – Surterra – Tampa, FL
***The first 6-9 months, the primary location is our operating facility outside of Tampa – May live in Tampa or commute from Atlanta. Thereafter, Atlanta location preferred, with travel across the east coast.
This role will be accountable for the operational launch and success of the Coral Reefer brand in Florida (and potentially other east coast states) through effective launch planning, process definition, project management, and inventory management. We are seeking a hands-on Operations Manager with a roll-up-your sleeves mentality and strong management and production experience preferably in the pharmaceutical, food, beverage, or cannabis industries. This is an outstanding opportunity to be part of fast growth company that is shaping the future of cannabis!
CORE JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Facilitate internal operations
- Collaborate cross-functionally with the production, cultivation, IT, marketing and sales teams to ensure that the Coral Reefer brand is successfully launched and achieves financial goals
- Ensure compliance with all state and local laws and regulations governing cannabis business operations
- Identify new potential sources of ingredients, materials and partners
- Ensure all products are entered and tracked properly in Surterra’s POS system
Manage supply chain logistics
- Manage marketing demand and supply planning and reporting
- Ensure all parts information (for packaging and materials) are properly entered into Surterra systems and investory is properly tracked.
- Ensure consumer access to our products minimizing both out of stocks and wasted inventory by tracking final and WIP inventory to ensure all required components of product, packaging and manufacturing capacity are available when needed.
- Facilitate Sales and Operations Planning (S&OP) by collaborating with Sales, Marketing and the Production teas to ensure accurate, timely and cost-effective production scheduling, distribution and inventory management.
Collaborate with the R&D and product development teams to:
- Identify and implement best practices, new product opportunities, and process/quality improvements
- Create, refine, implement and audit SOPs and for operations from seed to sale
- Ensure quality standards by developing/refining product specifications, auditing manufacturing SOP compliance and input quality, sampling production runs for testing, and conducting random quality checks at retail.
- Plan and prepare for the operational launch of new product flavors and forms
Align activities to achieve Surterra’s financial plans for the Coral Reefer brand in Florida
- (and east coast states over time), including enabling appropriate inventory and intelligent cost management.
- Manage to annual budgets/quarterly forecasts for all direct and indirect spend.
- Responsibilities may expand to additional east coast states over time
JOB SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- 5-8+ years of operations or similar experience with 2-3+ years leading teams.
- Degree in Operations, Supply Chain, Engineering, Computer Science, Math or other related technical field and/or Business Administration. Advanced degree in technology-related discipline and Business Administration preferred
- Ability to travel 50-75%
- Able to effectively organize work effectively, track progress and motivate outstanding performance from diverse teams
- Proven track record of delivering results and driving constant improvement
- Solid foundation of knowledge and experience in “best-in-class” operations processes, practices, technologies, organizations, and operations
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication and time management skills
- Ability to grasp the complexities/anticipate changing business needs and proactively drive to solutions
- Professional demeanor and ability to interact across all level of the organization with persuasiveness and confidence
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial openness and ability to explore new possibilities to solving problems and enhancing performance
- Demonstrated business acumen; able to assess financial implications of decisions and actions; able to understand how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace and impact the company
- Embraces change-driven challenges and thrives in a fast-paced and demanding environment
- Exceptional analytical skills in pertinent areas related to role, with ability to break down
6 Core Values of a Surterra Employee
Integrity – We operate in a regulated and unchartered industry. Act and make decisions that stand up to scrutiny and reflect our position as a sophisticated, credible and respected leader. Be honest, trustworthy, dependable, and honorable. Demonstrate sound moral and ethical ways of interacting.
Collaboration – We are a collection of the best talent at all levels. Learn and grow from this diversity: welcome healthy debate and proactively seek other perspectives and points of view to find the best solution while not resting on consensus. Proactively ensure the right people have the right information at the right time. Work as a team vs. an individual performer.
Agility – We are growing incredibly fast in a new industry. Be open to change, be ready to pivot on the moment’s notice, and act with a sense of urgency to take advantage of opportunities. Then be ready to do it again. Quickly –and calmly -respond and adapt to the unexpected. Modify and streamline processes, find more efficient ways of doing your job. Work efficiently across markets, time zones, and functions.
Intentionality – Intentionality requires action –it makes your intentions happen. Good thoughts are meaningless without action. It is initiative directed by the purpose to move our business forward. Intentionality is doing things important to you, even when not easy. Transformational change happens with intentionally.
Alignment – Together, we must understand and believe in our vision, mission, business and team goals and priorities. When we make a decision, even when we don’t have consensus we all align behind that decision and execute. We don’t revisit decisions unless we have material new data or circumstances.
Accountability – Make the best proactive and reactive decisions given the available information and the wisest counsel. • Own your decisions, actions and outcomes, and promptly correct mistakes. • Be reliable, honor commitments and do not finger point, off-load responsibilities, or criticize co-workers. Look after co-workers and team’s success.
- Ability to travel extensively – up to 75% by car and airplane.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 75% of the time.
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery
- The person in this position frequently communicates with other employees/customers. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
Surterra reserves the right to change or assign other duties to this job description. Your employment with Surterra is a voluntary one and is subject to termination by you or Surterra at will, with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time. Nothing in this document shall be interpreted to conflict with or to eliminate or modify in any way the employment-at-will status of Surterra employees.
OUR MISSION: We believe that wellness is a pursuit and a right and that nature has the ability to empower our health now and in the future. It is our mission to provide the safest, highest quality cannabis-based products that empower your health and enable you to live well along with your loved ones.
OUR STORY: This past decade has seen a powerful shift in the way we define healthy living. From greater access to naturally-grown, organic foods to the awareness of the dangers in overly-processed, chemically-dependent products, communities everywhere are rediscovering what it means to live well. Surterra believes that this push for safe, natural ingredients should not stop at the grocery store, and we are focused on transforming the way people take control of their health.
Founded in 2014, Surterra is focused on unlocking the natural health benefits of cannabis-based ingredients and is committed to providing individuals with the safest, most effective treatments. By combining natural growing techniques with innovative extraction tools, Surterra is looking to transform the way people view nature-based wellness solutions.
Today, Surterra is bringing together leaders focused on patient health and safety. Together we are utilizing best practices in medicine, science and agriculture to discover and advance the natural healing benefits of cannabis-based products. Naturally-derived and uniquely formulated, these health-based solutions are relieving symptoms, easing sickness and empowering people to restore their own health in the safest, most effective way possible. Together, we are in pursuit of wellness.