A police officer died after he was shot in the head while chasing a gunman in East Harlem on Tuesday, the authorities said.
Officer Randolph Holder, 33, a Guyanese immigrant, was shot during an exchange of gunfire around 8:30 p.m. on the footpath of Franklin D. Roosevelt Drive near 120th Street, Commissioner William J. Bratton said at a news conference just after midnight on Wednesday. He had been responding to an armed robbery in a park, according to police officials.
Officer Holder was taken in critical condition to Harlem Hospital, where he died a few hours later, the police said. “He ran toward danger,” Mr. Bratton said. “It was the last time he would respond to that call.”
The gunman was shot in the leg and taken to NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where he was expected to be released into police custody later on Wednesday, Mr. Bratton said. Three other men were taken into custody for questioning, he said.

Interactive Feature | Breaking News Emails Sign up to receive an email from The New York Times as soon as important news breaks around the world.

Investigators recovered at least one gun and a bicycle, the police said.
Dozens of officers gathered in an auditorium inside the hospital waiting to hear of their colleague’s fate, and at least two priests were present. Around 11:15 p.m., they slowly began filing outside the room with frowns on their faces.
At the news conference, officials extended condolences to Officer Holder’s family, including his father, who shares his name and was a police officer in their native country.
“We’re all in mourning tonight,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said. “This whole city is in mourning. We’re mourning a man who gave his life as a guardian for all of us.”
Patrick J. Lynch, the president of the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association, said that police officers are expected carry themselves like superheroes, but episodes like Mr. Holder’s killing show that they remain vulnerable.
Police investigators swarmed several areas in East Harlem after the shooting. A police helicopter was scanning the East River. Officials closed part of F.D.R. Drive between 120th and 125th Streets because of the police activity.
Motorists stuck on the roadway posted images of the scene on social media. Stranded passengers left taxis on …Read More

Powered by WPeMatico