No. 12 Florida State Women Breeze Past JU – WTXL ABC 27
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Shakayla Thomas had 15 of her 20 points in the first half and No. 12 Florida State rolled to a 90-47 win over Jacksonville on Thursday night.
The Seminoles (2-1) led 12-2 midway through the first quarter and hit their last eight shots to make it 29-13. Ivey Slaughter made it nine straight to start the second quarter, and Florida State led 46-22 at the half.
Florida State, which lost 78-76 to UConn on Monday, made 8 of 11 shots in the third quarter to push the lead to 74-38.
The Seminoles also got 10 points apiece from Imani Wright and Chatrice White. They ended up at 58 percent (32 of 55), making 7 of 10 behind the arc, which was better than the 19 of 34 from the foul line (56 percent).
Sherranda Reddick had 17 points for the Dolphins (2-1).
Since the 2012-13 season, FSU is 23-3 against teams from Florida.
POST-GAME NOTES BY FSU SPORTS INFORMATION:
• Junior forward Shakayla Thomas’ 20 points was the ninth 20+ point outing of her career. The previous eight all came as a sophomore.
• Thomas’ 20 points came in 20 minutes of action, and marked her 54th career double-figure scoring game.
• FSU shot 58.2 percent from the floor (32-of-55). Last year against Jacksonville it shot 55.8 percent (29-of-52).
• Three key categories where the Seminoles blew the game open were in points in the paint (40-12), fast-break points (14-4) and bench points (39-9). It was FSU’s most bench points since scoring 41 at Wake Forest on Jan. 28, 2016.
• In the second (2-of-13) and fourth periods (2-of-12), the Seminoles combined to hold Jacksonville to 4-of-25 shooting (16 percent).
• In the first (29 points) and third (28 points) periods, the Seminoles combined for 57 points.
• In senior point guard Leticia Romero’s first