Research and Development Manager – AgHires – Midway, FL
Trulieve is the first and leading medical cannabis company in the state of Florida. They are a “Seed to Sale” operation with 1500 employees and growing. If you have a desire to help others in need through your efforts, this may be the role for you!
Trulieve products are hand-grown and specially cultivated in a state-approved, climate-controlled environment to ensure purity and safety. We leave nothing to chance, while letting nature do her work.
At Trulieve, we strive to bring our patients the relief they need in a product they can trust. Our plants are hand-grown in an environment specially designed to reduce unwanted chemicals and pests, keeping the process as natural as possible at every turn.
The Research and Development Manager is responsible for all activities and personnel of the company’s Research and Development Department. Working closely with the operations and marketing team, the Manager conducts technical research on industry products and techniques while concurrently evaluating the company’s ability and desire to implement all enhancements to the company’s product line and manufacturing capabilities. The Manager is expected to have a strong understanding of technology. This person will keep current the latest research and trends in order to innovate, develop and implement new products. This person will consult with colleagues to streamline processes, update outdated processes, and will recommend ingredients for all products of the company.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides the resources and leadership for the successful development and manufacturing implementation of new products and building a solid pipeline of new products or platforms that are aligned with the company’s growth strategies.
- Improves and enhances the constant and manufacturing of existing products.
- Develops new products based on consumer trends and company strategy and capabilities.
- Leads, manages and owns the research and development strategy and activity for the company.
- Provide input for labeling for all R&D products.
- Collaborates with senior management, Marketing, and Operations to collaborate and devise new products and mechanisms.
- Responsible for generating manufacturing specifications including submission of new or updated information to costing.
- Confers with Quality colleagues to ensure quality and safety standards are met during commercial expansion plan.
- Reviews critical data involving product and ingredient concerns and resolves issues to support company business objectives.
- Coordinates sensory product evaluations of prototype products and competing products via internal and external focus groups.
- Monitors technologies used by other manufacturers.
- Develops and verifies customer specifications including shelf life and handling procedures.
- Responsible for overseeing compliance and technical documents.
- Oversees and manages R&D budget.
- Works closely with operations, purchasing and quality assurance to consolidate the use of existing raw materials to optimize costs. Collaborates with the evaluation of new ingredients and suppliers.
- Supports company strategic planning establishing priorities for the department.
- Engages direct reports in developmental and leadership opportunities.
- Attends classes and seminars to improve technical skills and industry knowledge.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Will spend many hours working on a computer.
- Constant walking and standing on hard surfaces. Need to be able to climb and descend steps.
- Frequent bending, pulling, pushing, and lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Exposed to cool and hot temperatures in addition to noise.
Qualifications and Skills:
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Graduate Level Education in Technology, Chemistry or Biochemistry.
- 10-15 years of demonstrated experience in R&D, QA, and chemistry.
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing processes.
- Must have the ability to manage new and multiple projects from concept to commercialization.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and leadership experience.
- High level of integrity and work ethic.
- Ability to use existing resources to troubleshoot and resolve issues.
- Ability to interpret statistics and research data.
- Must have proficient problem-solving skills.
- Must have proficient training, coaching, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be self-motivated, an excellent team player, and able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent computer skills – Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Program Management tools, etc.