Research Manager, Production, Packaging and Automation – Surterra – Tampa, FL
The Research Manager for Production, Packaging, and Automation will research, develop, and procure industry-leading, reliable, high quality production, packaging, and automation equipment and processes for deployment across multiple Surterra operational functions, with a focus on Surterra’s product production and packaging functions.
CORE JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Production, Packaging, and Automation Innovation
- Research industry-leading, high-quality, production, packaging, filling/capping, and other automation solutions
- Work with industry partners to develop and implement leading automation technologies for implementation across Surterra’s operational processes
- Develop and maintain knowledge of current and forthcoming industry solutions, competitive approaches, and potential business development opportunities
- Perform testing and due diligence on potential solutions and vendors to determine optimal equipment and processes for Surterra’s operations
- Provide advice and guidance on potential buy/build/partner decisions with respect to automation solutions across all aspects of Surterra’s production operations
- Production Process Automation and Quality
- Determine best automation equipment, packaging line design, processes, and Standard Operating Procedures for Surterra’s ongoing operational processes
- Create and maintain Standard Operating Procedures for use by Surterra’s operations personnel and for submission to regulatory authorities
- Develop and, if needed, provide training on Standard Operating Procedures
- Develop quality management processes with respect to Surterra’s automation processes and Standard Operating Procedures
- Build effective partnerships with appropriate Surterra personnel to help drive the business toward achieving company objectives
- Comply with Surterra’s current policies and procedures and applicable state and local laws.
- Additional duties as required
JOB SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- 5+ years of experience in robotics, automation, mechanical engineering, process automation, quality systems management, and/or packaging processes
- Experience in packaging processes and automation in the cannabis industry, nutraceuticals, food and beverages, or pharmaceuticals is preferred
- Experience with cGMP is preferred
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing, and challenging environment
- Analytically and communicatively intelligent
- Focuses simultaneously on short- and long-term goals; ability to identify problems quickly
- Knowledge of customer service, inventory management (including software) and regulatory compliance
- Accurate data-entry and record keeping
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills and time management abilities
- Ability to pass a background check, including drug testing, to be registered as an employee of a licensed organization in Florida, Texas, and/or other Surterra geographies
- Comfort with security protocols, including video monitoring and employee tracking
- An ability to travel up to 25% of the time
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- The ability to stand for up to 8 or more hours per day
- The ability to lift 20-50 pounds as needed
- The ability to perform various physical activities, including lifting, standing, and squatting
6 Core Values of a Surterra Employee
Integrity – We operate in a regulated and unchartered industry. Act and make decisions that stand up to scrutiny and reflect our position as a sophisticated, credible and respected leader. Be honest, trustworthy, dependable, and honorable. Demonstrate sound moral and ethical ways of interacting.
Collaboration – We are a collection of the best talent at all levels. Learn and grow from this diversity: welcome healthy debate and proactively seek other perspectives and points of view to find the best solution while not resting on consensus. Proactively ensure the right people have the right information at the right time. Work as a team vs. an individual performer.
Agility – We are growing incredibly fast in a new industry. Be open to change, be ready to pivot on the moment’s notice, and act with a sense of urgency to take advantage of opportunities. Then be ready to do it again. Quickly –and calmly -respond and adapt to the unexpected. Modify and streamline processes, find more efficient ways of doing your job. Work efficiently across markets, time zones, and functions.
Intentionality – Intentionality requires action –it makes your intentions happen. Good thoughts are meaningless without action. It is initiative directed by the purpose to move our business forward. Intentionality is doing things important to you, even when not easy. Transformational change happens with intentionally.
Alignment – Together, we must understand and believe in our vision, mission, business and team goals and priorities. When we make a decision, even when we don’t have consensus we all align behind that decision and execute. We don’t revisit decisions unless we have material new data or circumstances.
Accountability – Make the best proactive and reactive decisions given the available information and the wisest counsel. • Own your decisions, actions and outcomes, and promptly correct mistakes. • Be reliable, honor commitments and do not finger point, off-load responsibilities, or criticize co-workers. Look after co-workers and team’s success.