Parallel is one of the largest privately held, vertically integrated, multi-state cannabis companies in the world with a mission to pioneer well-being and improve the quality of life through cannabinoids. Parallel owns and operates retail dispensaries in four medical and adult-use markets: Surterra Wellness in Florida and Texas; New England Treatment Access (NETA) in Massachusetts, and The Apothecary Shoppe in Nevada. The Company has a diverse portfolio of high quality, proprietary and licensed consumer brands and products including Surterra Wellness, Coral Reefer, and Float. Parallel operates approximately 50 retail stores nationwide, with a series of cultivation and manufacturing sites across the four states. The Company conducts advanced cannabis science through Molecular Infusions (Mi), a cannabis-based biopharmaceutical company, and conducts R&D for new product development in its facilities in Texas, Massachusetts, Florida, and Budapest, Hungary. Parallel follows rigorous operations and business practices to ensure the quality, safety, consistency and efficacy of its products and is building its business by following strong values and putting the well-being of its customers and employees first. For more information: www.liveParallel.com.
This position is responsible for month end accounting functions, account analyses, and special projects. Essential duties include preparation of journal entries and account reconciliations across various financial statement accounts. Provides financial/analytical support to various departments to explain balances and variances from prior period or from budget. Responsible for various financial reports, which may include monthly aging’s, commentary variances, income statement and balance sheet reporting. May assist in developing complex ad hoc reports and financial analyses. May assist in integration or enhancement related projects impacting financial accounting. Identifies opportunities for process improvements. Ability to prepare clear and concise documentation, including those required for Sarbanes Oxley. Performs additional duties as assigned.
- Prepares financial data such as schedules and entries for monthly closing of financial books, takes ownership of completion of tasks, follows up on outstanding tasks
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations, identify/resolve discrepancies and report financial misstatements in accordance with our accounting policies (GAAP) and SOX controls
- Assist the Retail Financial Controller in financial analysis to support the retail operations team
- Provides financial/analytical support to various departments
- Improve and maintain documentation and training materials for assigned responsibilities
- Take part and assist in process improvement initiatives to capture efficiencies in our processes
- Understanding of GAAP and the ability to interpret and apply these standards to determine financial misstatements
- Understandings of SOX compliance and the ability to ensure our controls are operating effectively and mitigate risk
- Escalates issues to management in a timely manner
- Makes sound, timely decisions, balances strategic and tactical goals and objectives
- Initiates projects/process improvements and sets timelines and expectations
- Understands corporate objectives at all levels of the organization
- Researches issues
- Forecasts impact of each solution and implements best solution
- Measures impact after implementation and adapts solution as necessary. Applies broad knowledge and experience when addressing complex issues.
- Position requires developing and maintaining support of audit documentation for internal and external auditors
- Attention to detail, organization, accuracy, curiosity and motivation to understand the business is critical
- Projects positive energy at all times, mentors lower-level accountants in accounting concepts; may involve review of the work of others, develops strong relationships within the company to collaborate on tasks and company-wide initiatives
- Ability to navigate in times of ambiguity
- Meets attendance and punctuality standards
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or related field required
- Approximately 5 – 10 years’ experience in Accounting or Finance
- CPA designation strongly preferred
- Knowledge and application of Intermediate/Advanced Excel, PowerBI, and Intermediate PowerPoint (preferred)
- SAGE Intacct experience preferred
- Must be a “self-starter” to problem solve and master account ownership without significant oversight
- Strong communication skills, attention to detail, adaptable to change, displays accuracy and timeliness, financial and business acumen, high decision quality, professionalism, work independently
- Problem Solving: “Self-starting” thinking required for analysis, evaluation, creating, reasoning, and drawing conclusions/solutions;
- Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 75% of the time.
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery
- Frequently communicates with other employees/customers. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique.
PARALLEL IS UNITED BY OUR VISION, Mission, & Values
Our Vision – why we exist – is to pioneer well-being and improve the quality of life for humanity through the benefits of cannabinoids.
Our Mission – how we will do this – is to build a leading, global well-being company through the best talent, our values, trusted and recognized brands, science and technology-based innovation, and a relentless focus on execution and continuous improvement.
6 CORE VALUES OF A PARALLEL ASSOCIATE
Integrity – We operate in a regulated and unchartered industry. Act and make decisions that stand up to scrutiny and reflect our position as a sophisticated, credible and respected leader. Be honest, trustworthy, dependable, and honorable. Demonstrate sound moral and ethical ways of interacting.
Collaboration – We are a collection of the best talent at all levels. Learn and grow from this diversity: welcome healthy debate and proactively seek other perspectives and points of view to find the best solution while not resting on consensus. Proactively ensure the right people have the right information at the right time. Work as a team vs. an individual performer.
Agility – We are growing incredibly fast in a new industry. Be open to change, be ready to pivot on the moment’s notice, and act with a sense of urgency to take advantage of opportunities. Then be ready to do it again. Quickly –and calmly -respond and adapt to the unexpected. Modify and streamline processes, find more efficient ways of doing your job. Work efficiently across markets, time zones, and functions.
Intentionality – Intentionality requires action –it makes your intentions happen. Good thoughts are meaningless without action. It is initiative directed by the purpose to move our business forward. Intentionality is doing things important to you, even when not easy. Transformational change happens with intentionality.
Alignment – Together, we must understand and believe in our vision, mission, business and team goals and priorities. When we make a decision, even when we don’t have consensus we all align behind that decision and execute. We don’t revisit decisions unless we have material new data or circumstances.
Accountability – Make the best proactive and reactive decisions given the available information and the wisest counsel. Own your decisions, actions and outcomes, and promptly correct mistakes. Be reliable, honor commitments and do not finger point, off-load responsibilities, or criticize co-workers. Look after co-workers and team’s success.