Senior Director of Production – Surterra – Tampa, FL
Surterra is looking for a detail-oriented senior leader for our production team. The production process begins with freshly harvested cannabis plants and ends with quality consumer packaged goods ready for distribution. This candidate will lead the teams that prepare harvested cannabis, conduct extraction and refinement, formulate, and assemble our finished goods. Using our “Six Associate Values” (detailed below) as a compass, our goal at every step in the process is to deliver superior products to our consumers. This leader will fear no barrier in the pursuit of ensuring compliance with all applicable regulations, enforcing quality standards, troubleshooting issues, nurturing their team, and governing efficient manufacturing processes that result in product availability across our enterprise.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the end to end Manufacturing and Production Operations
- Enable sustainable growth and achieve financial objectives through effective inventory management, increased efficiencies, and process improvements
- Work closely with other operations team members to manage product supply and our supply chain to ensure timely delivery of products
Manufacturing and Production
- Ensure tactical plans align with strategic direction & execute them on time
- Foster a culture of teamwork and compliance that rewards innovative thinking and cultivates talent that maximizes individual and organizational effectiveness
- Ensure a safe environment for our employees while adhering to all applicable governmental regulations for this industry and for the products we produce for our consumers (OSHA, GMP, Food Safety, Federal, State, Local, etc.)
- Develop and enforce
- Standard operating procedures & measures
- Quality Controls and Continuous Improvement Capability
- Production management routines & communication cadence
- Production metrics for all team members to include dashboard scorecard
- Effective risk management processes
- Contingency plans to ensure business continuity in the face of disaster
- Proper product & work-in-process tracking, movement, and product security
- Effective efficiency improvement initiatives across all departmental functions
- Develop and adhere to annual budgets/quarterly forecasts for all direct and indirect spend for the department
- Lead and direct total Production cost modeling
- Establish and maintain key performance indicators for suppliers that are in alignment with company goals and strategies and implement plans to improve supplier performance through KPIs and SLAs
- Encourage sharing of best practices within the team; break down barriers to teamwork; resolves conflict effectively
Experience in solving Complex Manufacturing and Production issues
- Understand the myriad of complex business opportunities & challenges to develop workable solutions, and then successfully implement the chosen solution in the face of any barrier
- Lead and drive lean operations, quality improvement, and capacity expansion initiatives in the processing, warehousing, and packaging portions of the operations
- Work closely with Cultivation team to implement modifications and upgrades required for efficient production capacity and processes
- Be a great resource in new product development and implementation projects
- Adhere to daily and weekly production and inventory schedules that meet overall production needs based on customer sales demand and designated inventory stocking levels
- Demonstrated business acumen; able to assess financial implications of decisions and actions; able to understand how strategies & tactics work in the marketplace & impact to the company
- Have a proven track record of delivering results, leading people, and driving improvement
Balance priorities with constrained resources
- In a world that lacks clarity, this leader must manage ambiguity masterfully
- Develop structure while operating in a continued startup and emerging environment
- Balance the many priorities and conflicts inherent in a rapidly evolving environment with high demand for Production resources
- Identify and understand systems problems through regular and direct and indirect interaction with the systems users, employing feasibility studies and functionality analysis
- Close communication and coordination with the consumer facing side of our business and our commercial team is of paramount importance
- Solid foundation of knowledge and experience in “best-in-class” manufacturing and production processes, practices, technologies, organizations, and operations
- Proven experience in successfully designing, implementing and supporting complex enterprise-wide, multi-business, manufacturing services related to role
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication and time management skills – a key component to this role includes interfacing with teams outside of the Production group to gather requirements, collaborate on developing alternatives and to promote initiatives across multiple levels within the organization
- Extremely dynamic – A consummate professional who can grasp the complexities/anticipate the business needs of a global multi-business environment
- Professional demeanor and ability to interact at executive level with persuasiveness and confidence
- Exceptional analytical skills in pertinent areas related to role
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Math or other related technical field and/or Business Administration. Advanced degree in technology-related discipline and Business Administration preferred
- Strong background with MES (manufacturing execution systems)
- Demonstrated success in leading manufacturing operations to achieve improved performance and profitability
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery
- The person in this position frequently communicates with other employees/customers. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally up to 25% of the time.
- Must be able to move around the production facilities up to 30% of the time.
- Must be able to work in an environment which is noisy and with temperature fluctuations from 60 degrees to 90 degrees.
- Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Integrity: act with honor and respect and make the right decisions for the right reasons.
Accountability: Own your decisions, actions and outcomes. Stand as a responsible representative of your team, willing to support and defend. Take actions to fulfill the goals of the organization. Finish what you start. Accept reward and consequence with dignity and poise.
Agility: When circumstances change, be ready to pivot on a moment’s notice. act with a sense of urgency to take advantage of opportunities.
Intent: Say what you mean and do what you say. Begin with the end in mind. Make a plan. Take initiative to have an impact.
Alignment: Welcome different points of view. Once we make a decision, we all line up behind it. Only revisit decisions when circumstances or information significantly change. Work in the best interest of the consumer and the brand.
Collaboration: Create an inclusive environment where all voices are heard and listen objectively to opposing views. Communicate quickly, accurately and concisely. Work to find win-win solutions. Help your teammates and accept help from them!