Job Summary: A Pharmacist to service Oak Park LTC Pharmacy and Oak Park Pharmacy for its long term and retail Pharmacist?s needs. Pharmacist will be working a variable rotating shift and will be required to be available for any emergency after hour needs as determined by the Director of Pharmacy.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate physician orders for appropriateness of drug, dosage, interactions, route of administration and stability. Make recommendations for therapy changes to physician and facility staff as appropriate. Conduct Drug Utilization Reviews on all prescriptions and perform clinical edits as needed to ensure medication safety.
- Maintain patient database to include appropriate current and past medical history, appropriate clinical and laboratory data, and concurrent medication including over the counter and herbal remedies. Works with appropriate technician to reconcile Controlled Substance Logs with inventory on hand and prescriptions dispensed to comply with state and federal regulations.
- Works with Director of Pharmacy to ensure that implementation of cost containment strategies (pre-pack, Cycle-Fill, etc.) occurs on all dispensing and procurement activities.
- Works with Director of Pharmacy for inventory management and overlooking the purchasing process and handling of drugs in all respects.
- Provide clinical expertise by responding to drug-related questions and concerns by medical staff and patients.
- Collaborates with the healthcare team to provide the clinical and technical support as needed for implementing new programs.
- Documents all communication with physicians, nurses, other members of the healthcare team and patients and their family members in the medical record.
- Obtains, as necessary, and maintains all required documentation in accordance with federal and state regulations.
- Implements policies and procedures for safe procurement, storage, distribution and use of drugs as well as disposal of drugs.
- Maintain proper workflow in Pharmacy at all times with proper accountability being placed for appropriate tasks.
- Assist the Pharmacy Director in maintaining proper conduct and professionalism in the department.
- Participate in CQI meetings and daily admissions meeting in Majestic Oak and Oak View as scheduled by the Director of Pharmacy on routine basis.
Educational, Physical, and Other Requirements:
- Employee must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations. Physical requirements may include frequent use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear. The employee may be required to lift , stand; walk; sit; climb or balance; stoop; kneel; crouch or crawl; and smell. Vision abilities may require close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- For the safety and security of our residents and patients, employees must be able to read, write, and verbally communicate in English, which is the most universally used language of our resident and employee population.
- Employee must occasionally lift up to 30 lbs and stand for 8 to 10 hours per day.
Customer/Guest Relations & Communications:
- Must maintain a professional, respectful, friendly demeanor with all residents, family members, guests, and staff at all times.